Wednesday, June 18, 2008

She Sleeps!!

Who knew how much enjoyment I could get out of those two little words! I'm pleased to say that Sadie slept through the night last night! Actually - even better than that - she woke up once - talked to herself for awhile and went back to sleep! Ahhhhh! Of course, today we are a bit out of sorts so - I guess we accept the rollercoaster, count our successes and do the best we can. Our adventures today included a trip to the Embroidery Museum. Hunan is famous for this particular craft and it was truly an amazing thing to see and to watch the craftswomen in action. Off course we also walked away with a little of this and a little of that - what else could we do?? :) :) We also took a short trip to the countryside to visit a local farming family. One wouldn't know they were farmers by looking at their tile sided home that looked more like a small apartment building - but the giant pigs living inside just off their kitchen confirmed that our guides knew what they were talking about. We could tell that they had dressed up for the occasion and they were proud to share tea with us and some fresh cucumbers from the garden. My camera battery died on one that part of the trip but here are some pics from the embroidery museum.












(P.S. - I also posted some pics of adoption day in the last post if you want to go back and check them out.)
I'm enjoying getting a little more familiar with Sadie each day. I'm beginning to recognize mannerisms and I couldn't be happier with what seems to be a good start to her attachment to me - the seeking of eye contact, the crying when I leave the room, etc. Once in awhile I remember that we are still so much strangers to one another and I can more easily now than ever reflect on what bonds people to each other - the development of common histories and that familiarity that is growing. Tonight is our last in Changsha. Tomorrow we are Guangzhou bound! Our first test plane trip. I'm terrified! :) Wish us luck!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh it's so great to hear she is getting more and more comfortable with you! The embroidery museum looks fantastic- so glad to hear you are enjoying yourself! Good luck on the flight, at least the first "test flight" is SHORT!!!

Unknown said...

Good luck on the flight!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you....having just been to China to get our daughter, it is delightful to read your experiences.  Guangzhou is wonderful....be sure to check out JORDONS, it is a shop not far from the White Swan....and GIFT FROM CHINA is a wonderful place, the gifts are all handmade and benefits orphanages.   Take care.  Karen Fortlander of Portland, OR

Shelle said...

Congratualtions Heidi!

She's adorable, love the smiles!

I recognize your guide Amy (in the embroidery tour photo) She worked with our group when we were in Changsha last August. Tell her Tim, Michelle and Yang-Yang from LanShan (and Harrah's adoption agency) say hello! She's fabulous!

Good luck and have a fabulous time!

Michelle and Mattea Johnston