Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ni Hao From China!

Hi Everyone!


What an adventure we're having already and we don't even get Sadie until tomorrow! The big event is scheduled for 10:00am. It's late tonight and much has been happening so I'll try to just hit the highlights! It all started with a smooth lift off from San Francisco! Eleven hours (and countless games of video solataire later) we touched down in Narita/Tokyo, Japan. Woo hoo!!
In Narita, after making our way to the gate for our next leg to Guangzhou, we were thrilled to meet up with another family from our group who had arrived separately. There were lots of hugs and "can you believe it's" and a quick boarding of the plane to China...... followed by a quick DE-boarding of the same. We knew something was up when - looking out the window of the airplane while still at the gate - I noticed the pilot taking pictures of the outside of the plane and then various airport personnel stopping by and pointing - many laughing all the while. We never did find out what was ultimately wrong with the aircraft but that was one joke I was glad not be in on!! With no plane, an airport curfew on the horizon and nearly 24 hours without sleep, the plan to bus the whole planeload of passengers to a local Radisson for the night was fine by us!! The next morning found us back at the Narita airport. Little adoption agency eleves - having received our panicked messages - had set about while we slept - to re-book new tickets from Gunagzhou to Changsha for the next day. And then the earthquake hit. Not a figure of speech - this was the real deal! And we're only 1 day into our trip. What a ride! While the ground stopped moving - we didn't! On to Guangzhou and then a final plane trip several hours later to Changsha. Our guide Kathy met us at the gate with big hugs and smiles and we collapsed into a heap of sleep at the Dolton Hotel - our home away from home for the next week. (I have pictures but they are taking too long to load! I promise to post the ones that you REALLY want to see tomorrow!!)
Final chapter in pre-mommyhood involves shopping for last minute baby supplies, paperwork, laughing with the other families, a "relaxing" Chinese massage (ouch!) - food that shouldn't be :) - readying the hotel crib, packing a baby bag and finally . . . taking time out to let all of you in on our excitement thus far.
And so I go to bed one last night before I become someone's mother. I still can't quite comprehend the enormity of what will be happening to both of us in just a few short hours. Someone will actually hand me a child - a person - and say to me that she is mine and I am hers. They will let me simply walk out the door with her and into the only future that exists for she and I. I'm still not terribly nervous but I have been close to tears of raw emotion all day long - so I know the time is close at hand. I look forward to sharing more of our tale soon. Goodnight!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heid,

What a great day for you and Sadie. She is so lucky to be getting you for her mommy. You have been waiting so long for this day. She will bring you much joy. Thank you for sharing your amazing journey with all of us who love you. We love Sadie too!!!!!

Happy Day!!!!!!

SharonVS21 said...

Wow! What an adventure! Plane delays and an earthquake! You are a strong woman and can handle anything that comes your way. I'll be thinking of you, Sadie, and your Mom. Thanks for posting the update!

Sharon

Kelli said...

I can't believe it's finally here! I am crying in the airport reading this while I wait for my flight to the other side of the world. When I arrive in Germany tomorrow morning, your life will have forever changed! What an amazing transformation in the length of a single flight!!!
Can't wait to see those photos tomorrow!!!

chris said...

we can't wait to see the family day photos. this is a momentous occasion for all of you. best to all-
chris ruby and hazel

Kelli said...

Okay it's not like I'm checking neurotically or anything....or maybe I am!!! anxious to see those pictures!!! By my account it's getting late in the evening in China.....so bring on the photos! I'm sure it was an amazing day!!!