Yesterday was adoption day where everything was made official. There was much less formality to it all than I expected and being smack dab in the middle of grief central, my mind was only marginally on the huge significance of the event. I'm sure it will all sink in in time.
We also made a trip out to Wal-Mart - China style and I've enjoyed the feeling of being somewhere so completely new. The food here is wonderful and the guides and hotel staff are amazing.
After being up for four hours straight with a crying child in the middle of the night last night, I decided it was too early in this parenting thing to be defeated so soon! So - after a rousing self pep talk that would make any Superbowl coach proud, I decided today would be different. Silly Mommy knows however that I am not necessarily calling all of the shots. Nonetheless, Sadie played along and we had a wonderful morning. While Mom caught up on some much needed relaxation time (she has been an incredible help to me in so many ways) - Sadie and I got dressed, made it down to breakfast with our group and boarded a bus to the Yan Lue Academy - a breathtakingly beautiful old Chinese landmark and gardens. (Picture Portland's Chinese garden only on a massive scale and with the permeating sense of history that can only come from thousands of years of scholars roaming the paths and hallways). Sadie took it all in with a combination of intelligent study and blowing raspberries (I have to wonder who taught her to do that!)
I'll post again when I can!
After being up for four hours straight with a crying child in the middle of the night last night, I decided it was too early in this parenting thing to be defeated so soon! So - after a rousing self pep talk that would make any Superbowl coach proud, I decided today would be different. Silly Mommy knows however that I am not necessarily calling all of the shots. Nonetheless, Sadie played along and we had a wonderful morning. While Mom caught up on some much needed relaxation time (she has been an incredible help to me in so many ways) - Sadie and I got dressed, made it down to breakfast with our group and boarded a bus to the Yan Lue Academy - a breathtakingly beautiful old Chinese landmark and gardens. (Picture Portland's Chinese garden only on a massive scale and with the permeating sense of history that can only come from thousands of years of scholars roaming the paths and hallways). Sadie took it all in with a combination of intelligent study and blowing raspberries (I have to wonder who taught her to do that!)
I'll post again when I can!
6 comments:
Heidi,
Hang in there -- you are amazing. I can't wait to squeeze little Sadie myself.
Audry
Hang in there, Heidi! I hope you can take comfort in knowing that grieving is a healthy sign for little Sadie. Each day will get easier for both of you!
Marie
So great to see the pictures! I am sure you are doing an amazing job-even with little sleep! She looks like she's got some great little smiles in her, so just remember those when you are up in the middle of the night with her as she gets through her grief. Can't wait to meet her!!!
i loved the academy. so such a peaceful place. i'm glad your mom is there with you to help support you through this beginning. i hope the days get less and less tearful for sadie. and the sleep gets better for you. you are in our thoughts and i look forward to each new photo and blog.
chris
Ok, I know I already posted a comment, but I can't help myself. Those two bottom teeth and that smile are absolutely precious. We can't stop looking at her. Abby made me print out her picture. Sadie is truly a treasure.
Love you,
Audry
Oh my God! Sadie is the most beautiful little girl in the world!....I would say she comes in at a three-way tie with Ruby and Hazel.
That smile! Keep the pictures coming.
Post a Comment